Tuesday 30 December 2014

HEY NY?

Hey NY,

These were my impressions of you, thanks for being a hospitable host.  

-NY is huge compared to TO

-The subways are confusing and the stations are old 

-Manhattan is where the stereotypical NY culture lies.  We stayed in Queens.  Each borough has its own quirks.  If you're a New Yorker, you don't really have to venture out into the other ones because everything is at your doorstep. 

-There's something special about growing up in NY that gives you an edge 

-People-wise, it didn't feel much different than TO.   

-I questioned how safe it would be to commute alone during certain times and in certain places but i'm sure the residents don't feel that way and it was just my inner tourist.  

-How I wish I had Central Park memorized and I could explore the museums in my free time.  

-In certain places, it was easy to distinguish social divides 

-Times Square was overwhelming but once you walk end to end, it doesn't feel that huge.  There's definitely nothing like it but in my opinion, it wasn't the best part of NY :) It felt bigger the first time.  

-My hipster wannabe just wants to chill in my dream Brooklyn condo overlooking the Williamsburg bridge.  Knowing me, i'd get bored so this isn't an intense desire (haha)

-I wish I wasn't just a tourist.  But it would take years to properly know New York just because it's so grand.  

Finally, I know that everyone's experience of the Big Apple will be different.  There's so much going on.  It definitely made me appreciate Toronto for all the reasons they're similar and different.  Now to answer the age old question: Is Toronto a smaller version of NY? Yes and No.  Our downtown feels more welcoming, where everyone of all backgrounds can come together and just be.  Toronto is big, but it's definitely more quaint than NYC.  I think both places is where you can live out the "American dream".  

No comments:

Post a Comment